21 July 2023

.8:48 sunset.


The sun will set at 8:48 PM tonight. Maybe it's been a few days now that the sun has set before 9 PM but it just hit me today, the light is already fading. Of course it is, but seems like summer fades so fast. Just a few weeks ago I was getting off the river on an extended paddle trip with still enough light at 9:45 PM. There's still summer left, but the shift has started. It makes me reflect on how I'm holding presence in my days - absorbing the now. 

I just finished a quilt I named "The First Day of Summer" inspired by summer solstice. It's a super minimal lap quilt playing with scale and the log cabin quilt pattern. I love it. It's so simple and holds so much energy. Here are pictures of the front and back of the quilt. This has been the second project where at the beginning I had a more elaborate plan and then decided to simplify. It's enough. It's not that I want to be done with the project, but I know that the project is done. It's been beautiful to witness and learn from to let it be enough. To appreciate and release it. 


 I've had so much energy for quilting in the past few weeks. I finished this project and immediately started a new project playing with two colors and the basket weave pattern. It's other strip design. It's another iteration of the same foundation. It's been too hot in the jewelry studio the past few weeks and the focus on just fiber reminds me of the different teaching of each material. 

No comments: