12 July 2023

.escape to shaw island.

 I love the San Juan Islands. My favorite is Lopez, after taking a bike camping trip many years ago. It's the perfect blend of rural quiet island life and the quintessential small town center. I returned last year, and while it's expanded still had the same sweet energy. I've already planned a return trip for this year in August. A few weeks ago, I explored a different island, Shaw, for the first time. I've been curious for years about Shaw Island. The words used to describe it to me were desolate and nuns. A friend reminded me about Shaw Island last summer. They stay on Lopez and day-tripped to the island to ride the sleepy roads and then head back to Lopez. I didn't venture last summer but decided to make it happen this year. I booked three nights because it's a journey to get there. After a very long ferry ride that took me to Orcas Island and then back to Shaw, only one other car got off with me. I had arrived. It was magic. Driving off the ferry, one of the first things I saw was a shed of seeds and antiques. There's a monastery, library, one-room schoolhouse, historical society, and one store at the ferry dock. That's it. It was a magical and quiet few days except for an aggressive raccoon. I biked, kayaked, walked the beach, saw a seal + bald eagle, collected shells at low tide, and sewed by the fire at night. I can't wait to go back. 

The seed shed!
my campsite!
so many moments felt like I transported to Maine

The little library with an amazing collection
sewing on the beach

No comments: