07 March 2024

.dune trail on 35mm.


I finally developed a roll of film from my trip to the cape this past November. Of course, the roll was mostly pictures of the dune trail. I'm not sure why I hadn't done this walk before. Being that I went in November, I had the trail to myself - fully engulfed in the dunes. It's pure cape cod magic with undulating dunes just a few minutes drive from the seasonally chaotic ptown. Within a few minutes of walking, the presence of town and the highway fade away, transported to another world. Walking up and down the dunes, the views expand and contract, and sounds rise and fall. Then, after maybe a mile of walking in the sand, a final hill brings you to the wild open waters. The trail offers a short beach walk and then loops back inland. As you climb back up into the dunes, suddenly, tiny weathered dune shacks appear. These little artist retreats are the ultimate off-grid residency. I was reading The Creative Act by Rick Rubin (again!) this morning, and a quote stood out to me. He wrote, "when we build our awareness, the universe expands." The silence and solitude of these dune shacks - I wonder about all the art that has come from such an expansive space.

No comments: