14 March 2024

.dark skies at confluence gallery.

I'm so thrilled to have two pieces in the current exhibit, Dark Skies at The Confluence: Art in Twisp.

How can I hold the wonder inside of me?



This piece was inspired by late-night stargazing in the North Cascades on Hwy 20. I was struck by a moment of deep awe in the mystery of the dark sky. The illusion of layers that emerge with a softened gaze. A moment of clarity washed over - that in fact nothing really matters - all the details and expectation and conditioning - life is a magical journey of deep learning. My journey is to stay awake and present. The dark skies remind me to release the limitations and to stay in wonder. The feeling stayed with me for a few days and I as reintegrate back into the busyness the truth faded, but this piece and the dark skies keep me connected to the larger and more expansive perspectives. 

Due to the dark nature of the piece the details are not as visible photographed. The dark stitching is subtle and provides an embodying effect around the center of the circle print representing the stars. The subtle nature of the darker stitches is intentional as it requires the viewer to focus and lean in with curiosity much like the dark skies.

Material: cotton, linen and hematite stones
Measurements: 46” x 22”

Expand into the Unknown


This piece is inspired by the winter solstice, the darkest day of the year. During a breath practice on the solstice last year I had a new awareness of the expansiveness of darkness. There is a need for balance and seasons. The season of darkness is an invitation to dive into ourselves to explore, to plant new ideas, to ignite wonder that will come to flourish in the season of light. I’ve been working on this piece over the past year as a contemplative practice to ask questions of the darkness, to be in practice of opening up myself, to allow myself to expand into the darkness, to listen. 

The piece is two layers of fabric densely stitched. As the stitching is dark, it is less apparent photographed. The subtle nature of the darker stitches is intentional as it requires the viewer to focus and lean in.

Material: cotton
Measurements: Measurements: 36” x 27”

You can listen about the exhibit on the Spokane Public Radio or read an article in the Wenatchee World

No comments: