I haven't written much this past year. There's been a lot that needed attention and I didn't give as much time to reflection, which is usually what I use this space for. It's been a good year, an important year. Here I am on the very end of 2019 in awe that it's the end of a decade. It feels like so much and nothing at all. I don't believing in putting too much pressure on it - there's enough expectation in our world, but I was reflecting upon the last 10 years last night I felt very grateful for all the adventures that 10 years have held for me so I wanted to write down some of them as a thank you. I understand that I walk this earth a great deal of privilege. I'm grateful for my freedom and hope that my experiences help me to be a more understanding and compassionate being.
I went on my first road trip in 2012 and took many more this past decade:
1. Washington to Texas (thru Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico)
Highlight: Camping in Colorado during monsoon season!!
2. Texas to Washington (thru New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon)
Highlight: Solo camping in Joshua Tree National Park
3. Idaho to Massachusetts (thru Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York)
Highlight: Sleeping in a teepee at Devil's Tower in Wyoming, Badlands, and Ithaca, NY (I love that place).
4. Maine to North Carolina (thru New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia)
Highlight: Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mass MOCA
5. North Carolina to Washington (thru Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho)
Highlights: Santa Fe, Palo Duro Canyon, Sand Dunes (Idaho)
Places I've lived in the past 10 years!
- Wenatchee, WA
- Seattle, WA
- Arlington, WA
- El Paso, TX
- Chicago, IL
- Boston, MA
- Ketchum, ID
- Essex, MA
- York, ME
- Asheville, NC
- Leavenworth, WA
My Deepest passions of the past 10 years:
- Metalsmithing: I took my first metalsmithing course in 2010 and haven't stop studying metal since.
- Maternal Health: I became a birth doula in 2010, started Midwifery school, caught 5 babies and attended 60 births and taught Sexuality Education in Boston, Idaho and Washington.
- Arriving in Malawi
- Catching babies in Texas
- Moving to Boston
- Attending the birth of my niece
- Becoming an Aunt
- Solo travel (BIG moments of joy were camping in Joshua Tree in 2013 and camping in Palo Duro in 2019)
- Spending 3 months in Portugal taking jewelry classes
- Teaching jewelry after almost 10 years of learning the craft
- Starting my Master's program
- Making art + sharing art for 10 years!!!
Thank you for being here. Thank you for reading. I hope that you have time to reflect on your 10 years, whatever they looked like I hope you see the beauty in yourself through them. Happy 2020!