23 October 2015

.big magic.

“Do whatever brings you to life, then. Follow your own fascinations, obsessions, and compulsions. Trust them. Create whatever causes a revolution in your heart.” 
― Elizabeth GilbertBig Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear




I've been reading lately. I started reading "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert, it's so good. It always gives me something the chew on - Liz loves talking about ideas and how ideas manifest/present/move. She has an amazing story about her and her friend Ann Patchett. Read the book for the full story, but I'll just say Liz's story led me to Ann's book "State of Wonder" a book that takes place in Brazil deep in the amazon rainforest. The book instantly pulled me in with images that ran through my mind like a movie. I was surprised that I was so enthralled by this book and then I realized why, I've been to the amazon rainforest. The Ecuador side not the Brazilian and not as deep into isolation as where the story takes place but I've been there - I felt that heavy air - the deep exhaustion in your bones from the humidity - the smells of soil/fruit/animals - felt the roads that bounce you up and down on the seat for hours - travelled deep into the jungle in an old wooden boat with so many leaks a small child was hired to scoop out buckets of water entering the boat - the size of everything - the tarantulas - not going out after dark without a local because of snakes - the story of piranhas and candiru fish in the river - the wild and free amazon. It seems like it was just a strange magical dream that happened years ago.

How quick am I to forget my beautiful journey/story! I am so amazed and grateful for my path/opportunities. I hope I continue to remember my story and to find the power within it.

What's your story? What have you forgotten? 



ministry of health boat clinic
arriving to mondana
health center
church in mondana

the midwives

No comments: