29 March 2007

finally....

Hola a todos!

I am writing with some very exciting and much anticipated news….

After a year plus some of patiently waiting on the American government I have been invited to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in Ecuador! (Geographically, that means I will be in South America in a country located AT the equator between Columbia and Peru.) I will be leaving on June 18th . For those of you not familiar with the Peace Corps, it's a 27-month program. The first three month I will be in training and from there I will be assigned to a community where I will live and work for 2 years. Que bueno!

My program is rural public health and my official job title is health/nutrition extension which basically means maternal and child health care, but more specifically my time will be spent…
*Teaching nutrition.
*Performing Well Baby check-ups (i.e. vaccines, weight, nutrition, etc.).
*Promoting Breastfeeding to Moms.
*Counseling couples in Family planning.

I am so exciting for this adventure!! Thank you all for your love and support. I will keep you updated as I begin this journey.

Much Love.
Alicia

"God gives us humans everything we need to flourish, but he's not the one who's supposed to divvy up the loot. That charge was laid upon us."
::Dr. Paul Farmer::

No comments: