02 December 2023

.a sliver of light.

 With the short days of fall - almost winter, my hikes are limited to the weekends during the shrinking afternoon window of not early morning freezing temps but before the 4 pm darkness. The darkness always feels shocking every year. The limited light put a sense of urgency into the day. I think maybe others slow down, but I'm so hungry to get out and walk the land. I went for a quick hike near my house this weekend. I was working on a project and then realized it was 2:30PM, so I dropped what I was doing knowing that I would have only a hour or so of light left for a walk. The path is on the north side of the hillside so it was already out of the path of the sun, but I began to notice the tiny sliver of light that draped on the surrounding hillsides. Just a peek of light. 

Winter is not my favorite season or even a season I enjoy most of the time, but I'm always in awe to experience the transition of place in a season. The impermanent art of nature.



No comments: