11 August 2007

The Day of Destiny

That is what the write-n-wipe board read this morning for our general meeting to find out the much anticipated news of where we are going to live for the next two years of our life. I was so nervous-excited it was painful to wait until 11am to find out. But destiny finally arrived in form of an envelope. So intense.

I was placed in Balzar, Guayas. Which for those of you unfamiliar with Ecuador is in the southern part in the province (state) of Guayas and hence the name is where Guayaquil (the other big city in Ecuador) is located. I will only be about 2.5 hours from Guayaquil, which means easy access to the big city and the airport (hint hint for all you that would like to visit!!!).I will find out more about my site after my week visit that begins this Sunday. woot woot. But for now all I know is that it is a city with about a population of 24,000 rural and 25,000 urban. What does that mean? I am not sure. All I know is that for rural health I have (I think) the biggest site. Which is good and bad. Also, Balzar has 3 high schools, 5 schools (kindergarten, elementary, and middle), and a hospital. The temperature ranges from 90s-70s. I love the heat.

No comments: